The PrepareRI monthly newsletter is the best way to stay updated on PrepareRI. The signup form and most recent newsletter are below. You can view older newsletters in our PrepareRI Newsletter Archive.
March is a busy month for Prepare Rhode Island! We are very excited for the upcoming PrepareRI Summit on March 24th and hope to see you all there. We're also thrilled to officially launch the PrepareRI Internship Program with our new statewide career readiness intermediary, Skills for Rhode Island's Future. Please read further for more details and updates and share widely with your colleagues. Thanks!
--PrepareRI Core Team
NEWS AND UPDATES
Last chance: Register for the PrepareRI Spring Summit
The PrepareRI Summit, one of our biggest events of the year, is in less than two weeks. Please view the agenda and register online. We highly recommend you register this week--spots are filling up quickly. The Summit is free for all and will be held from 8:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. at the Community College of Rhode Island’s Warwick Campus (400 East St., Warwick, RI) on March 24, 2018.
The PrepareRI Spring Summit is focused on providing all stakeholders—schools, colleges, businesses, community groups, and government officials—with the training, tools, and resources they need to plan for the next school year. The Summit will include practical information on the following key topics:
- The new PrepareRI Internship Program and work-based learning
- High-growth industries and "hot jobs" in Rhode Island, based on research from the Governor’s Workforce Board
- Individual Learning Plans (ILPs) and career counseling
- Upcoming improvements to career and technical education (CTE)
- Expanding the Westerly Education Center model across the state
- And much more!
The Summit will also feature speeches from:
- Governor Gina Raimondo
- RIDE Commissioner Ken Wagner
- Postsecondary Commissioner Brenda Dann-Messier
- Governor's Workforce Board Executive Director Heather Hudson
The Governor’s Workforce Board is pleased to announce the selection of Skills for Rhode Island’s Future as the Statewide Career Readiness Intermediary. Skills for RI’s Future will implement the PrepareRI Internship Program for high school students to be piloted in Summer 2018, and will serve as a centralized coordinating body for the state to scale out career readiness activities in an efficient, demand-driven, and consistent way that meets employers’ needs and is also aligned with the work of K-12 schools. To learn more about the intermediary's role, join us at the PrepareRI Summit.
PrepareRI Summer Internship Program application is live
The online application for the PrepareRI Summer Internship program is live! Go to prepare-ri.org/internships to access the application and instructions. Applications must be completed by April 15, 2018. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis, so we encourage students to complete applications early.
CTE Innovation and Equity Grants FAQ posted online
RIDE hosted a Q&A session about CTE Innovation & Equity Grants last week. In response to the questions from that session, we developed a frequently-asked questions (FAQ) document and slide deck to explain the grant application process. Both of these documents are now posted on the PrepareRI grants page.
For background, RIDE launched Career and Technical Education (CTE) Innovation & Equity Grants this year to help school districts provide underserved student populations expanded access to high-quality career preparation opportunities in priority industries. Local Education Agencies with plans to improve equity in their CTE programs can apply for grants of up to $150,000 over two years. The deadline is March 30, 2018.
PrepareRI Ambassador applications will open on March 24
The application for the 2017-18 cohort of PrepareRI Ambassadors will open after the Summit on March 24th, and will be due the end of April. Visit prepare-ri.org/ambassadors after the Summit to learn more and apply.
The PrepareRI Ambassadors are a select group of education leaders who help guide PrepareRI’s implementation. The Ambassadors come from different parts of Rhode Island’s education landscape, and use their unique perspective and skills to advise RIDE about PrepareRI. Ambassadors continue to work full-time in their previous roles—as district leaders, principals, teachers, and professors—and receive a stipend to compensate them for their additional work with PrepareRI.
PrepareRI Spring Summit
- What: The PrepareRI Spring Summit will bring together leaders from schools, businesses, and colleges to share resources and tools to advance PrepareRI.
- When: Saturday, March 24, 2018, 8:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
- Where: Community College of Rhode Island - Warwick Campus, 400 East Ave., Warwick, RI
- More info: prepare-ri.org/spring-18-summit
Junior Achievement’s JA Inspire Career Exploration Fair
- What: Junior Achievement (JA) will bring together Rhode Island employers and industries, high school CTE programs, and postsecondary institutions to introduce over 2,000 8th grade students to career pathway options through industry-related, hands-on activities.
- When: Tuesday, March 27, 2018, 8:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
- Where: RI Convention Center
- More info: jainspireri.org
Deadline: CTE Innovation & Equity grants application
- When: Friday, March 30
- More info: prepare-ri.org/grants