Individual Learning Plans (ILPs)
What is an ILP?
The Individual Learning Plan (ILP) is a student-directed planning and monitoring tool that customizes learning opportunities throughout students' secondary school experience, broadens their perspectives, and supports attainment of goals. The ILP documents students’ interests, needs, supports, course selections (including access to college level programming), transition placements and other learning experiences both in and out of school. This information produces a thoughtful program of study leading to proficiency for graduation and postsecondary experiences.
The ILP is more than a repository of information about a student; it is a dynamic tool that maps academic plans, and reflects each student’s unique set of interests, needs, learning goals and graduation requirements. The ILP process engages all students in a way that advances goal setting, decision-making, and self-advocacy skills that support their lifelong learning.
Learn more at RIDE's School Counseling website.
What makes a good ILP?
A meaningful ILP for all Rhode Island students:
- Begins no later than entry into sixth grade and is maintained through 12th grade.
- Is revisited at least twice each school year, and at key transition periods for students.
- Helps students identify and meet their goals in three domains: academic, career and personal/ social.
- Coordinates with other support plans as appropriate. For example, individualized education programs (IEPs), Section 504 plans, Personal Literacy Plans, etc.
To help districts implement ILPs successfully, RIDE has developed an ILP Adoption Toolkit. The toolkit includes:
- Framework: This section explains the RI regulations and requirements for ILPs.
- Vendor Overview: RIDE identified a number of vendors that provide software platforms. Districts can use this "menu" to identify an ILP vendor that meets their needs, and join RIDE's statewide Master Price Agreement with that vendor.
- Scope & Sequence: This section provides a RI ILP model scope and sequence, as well as a turnkey curriculum model with lesson plans aligned to vendors and vendor-specific features from the state-vetted menu.
- School/District Adoption Success Plan: This section provides a RI ILP model scope and sequence, as well as a turnkey curriculum model with lesson plans aligned to vendors and vendor-specific features from the state-vetted menu.
PrepareRI is also released Launch My Career RI, a free online tool that allows students, families, and counselors to explore Rhode Island labor market data to determine the return on investment of various colleges and majors in the state. Learn more about Launch My Career.