PrepareRI Internship Program
Information for Businesses and Employers
What is the Prepare ri internship program?
The PrepareRI Internship Program provides paid summer internships for rising public high school seniors in Rhode Island. An outside intermediary, Skills for Rhode Island’s Future, will match students with internship placements based on fit, preparedness, and skill.
why should employers participate?
- Fill business needs
- Diversify talent pool and bring new perspectives to the organization
- Professional development opportunities for employees
- Meet corporate social responsibility goals and support the local community
- Increase brand recognition and reputation
- Streamlined and easy process through the intermediary
how will the intermediary help?
- Work with employers to develop job descriptions and identify essential skills
- Vet, assess, and match student interns to employer demand
- Prepare students on soft/essential skills and expectations of the workplace
- Provide support for employer staff to onboard and supervise student interns
- Establish a single point of contact to manage the student interns, and troubleshoot if any issues should arise
- Manage all payroll and liability logistics; the program is FREE of charge to the employer for the pilot year
what are the responsibilities of the employer?
- Commit to hosting 1-10 high school interns over the summer, for 6-8 weeks, 20-35 hours per week
- Identify an internal champion to work closely with intermediary
- Recruit supervisors and mentors to be the primary points of contact for students
- Help interview and select interns, as capacity allows
- Provide thought leadership and feedback for continuous improvement