PrepareRI Internship Program
Information for Students
The PrepareRI Internship Program application deadline for summer 2018 has passed. However, we have compiled a list of other internship opportunities in Rhode Island.
What is the Prepare ri internship program?
The PrepareRI Internship Program provides paid summer internships for rising public high school seniors in Rhode Island. An outside intermediary, Skills for Rhode Island’s Future, will match students with internship placements based on fit, preparedness, and skill.
View a one-page overview of the program.
Why should I apply?
- Jumpstart your career. Build your resume with experience in a future career field.
- Get real-work experience. Build important workplace experience and on-the-job skills.
- Make good money. Earn a competitive wage for the summer.
- Build your network. Connect with adult professionals who can help you get on the path to a great career.
- Unlock your potential. Discover your strength and improve industry knowledge, academic skills, and professional skills.
Who can Apply?
To be eligible you must:
- be a rising 12th grade student enrolled in a RI public school (i.e., the student will enroll in 12th grade in fall 2018)
- be 16 years of age or older
- live in Rhode Island
- be eligible to work in the US and have proper documentation
- complete the online application
Dates subject to change
- March 1, 2018: application questions available for viewing
- March 12, 2018: online application opens, applications reviewed on a rolling basis
- April 15, 2018: final deadline for applications
- April 2018: student/parent orientation meetings
- April-May 2018: student interviews and matching
- May 2018: students notified of decisions and internship matches
- late June 2018: preparation days for students
- July and August 2018: internships take place
Frequently asked questions
Is there a cost to the PrepareRI Internship Program?
No. PrepareRI Internships are free for schools and students. PrepareRI and the Governor's Workforce Board cover the cost.
Does this replace existing summer youth employment, such as the opportunities available through the local youth centers?
No. The PrepareRI Internship Program was created to provide students with more internship opportunities; it does not replace any existing opportunities. Students interested in a PrepareRI Internship are also encouraged to apply to other programs, including summer youth employment run by local youth centers or other community-based organizations.
What employers will be hosting student interns this summer?
Employer recruitment is in progress, and below is a list of current partners. Employers will be located across the state and in the industries listed below. The intermediary, Skills for Rhode Island’s Future, will be tasked with matching interns with employers based on student interests and skills. Not every student will be able to be matched with their top industry of interest, but the intermediary will take those preferences into account during the matching process.
- Finance and Banking
- Food and Hospitality
- Human and Social Services
- Retail and Customer Service
What types of jobs will student interns be doing?
Creating and finalizing job descriptions with employers is also in progress, and Skills for Rhode Island’s Future will match student applicants to internship opportunities based on their interests and skills. We anticipate a variety of job descriptions; some job descriptions may combine multiple categories of day-to-day tasks and larger projects, and some may require specific technical skills. Among others, we do expect that job descriptions may include tasks in the following categories:
- Communications and Social Media
- Customer Service
- Data Entry and Analysis
- Event Planning and Support
- Health Services/Patient support
- Human Resources/Administration
- IT Help Desk
- Marketing and Sales
- Operations Support
- Software programming/Coding
When will the student application be available and what will it look like?
The online application for the PrepareRI Summer Internship program will go live on March 12, 2018, and will be due on April 15, 2018. Applications will be reviewed by Skills for Rhode Island's Future on a rolling basis, so we encourage you to complete your application early.
Applications will only be accepted online here: www.skillsforri.com/2018-internship-program. Paper applications will NOT be accepted. We recommend that you review all of the application questions on the PDF document and prepare your answers in a Word document. You can then cut and paste into the application. Please use spell check before you paste your essay question answers.
Other Internship Opportunities
While we are excited about the new PrepareRI Internship Program, there are a limited number of spots available. To ensure that all students have access to work-based learning--including those unable to participate in the PrepareRI Internship--we have compiled a list of other opportunities available across Rhode Island. This list includes opportunities in volunteering, academic development, leadership, art and culture, mentoring, and more.
Have more questions?
If you have more questions, ask a counselor or administrator at your school.
For technical questions on the application, please call Skills for RI Future at 401-680-5960.