PrepareRI Internship Program
The PrepareRI Internship Program will train and place at least 100 Rhode Island youth in paid summer internships with the state’s top employers in a range of industries.
PrepareRI Internships benefit both students and industry. For students, the internships prepare youth with the skills they need to pursue meaningful, fulfilling futures through professional skills training, on-the-job experience, and connections to adult mentors who can help them achieve their career goals. For employers, the internships help diversify their workforce and build a strong pipeline of young, skilled workers who can keep RI’s future economy vibrant and strong.
Summer 2018 is the pilot year for PrepareRI Internships. The program is a joint project of the Rhode Island Department of Education and Governor's Workforce Board, and will be managed by a statewide career readiness intermediary. The Governor’s Workforce Board is pleased to announce the selection of Skills for Rhode Island’s Future as the intermediary organization.
PrepareRI Internships are part of PrepareRI's goal of having work-based learning in every high school in the state.
- PrepareRI Internships are summer internships for Rhode Island public high school students
- There will 100 internship openings for summer 2018
- Interns will be paid
- Internships will last 6-8 weeks (20-35 hours per week)
- Interns will be placed at top Rhode Island employers
- To be eligible, students must be 16+ and entering 12th grade in a RI public school in fall 2018
- Skills for Rhode Island’s Future will help select students and will match them with employers
Dates subject to change
- March 1, 2018: application questions available for viewing
- March 12, 2018: online application opens, applications reviewed on a rolling basis
- April 15, 2018: final deadline for applications
- April 2018: student/parent orientation meetings
- April-May 2018: student interviews and matching
- May 2018: students notified of decisions and internship matches
- late June 2018: preparation days for students
- July and August 2018: internships take place
The online application for the PrepareRI Summer Internship program will go live on March 12, 2018, and will be due on April 15, 2018. Applications will be reviewed by Skills for Rhode Island's Future on a rolling basis, so we encourage you to complete your application early.
Applications will only be accepted online here: www.skillsforri.com/2018-internship-program. Paper applications will NOT be accepted. We recommend that you review all of the application questions on the PDF document and prepare your answers in a Word document. You can then cut and paste into the application. Please use spell check before you paste your essay question answers.
For technical questions on the application, please call Skills for RI Future at 401-680-5960.
Employer recruitment is in progress, and below is a list of current partners. Employers will be located across the state and in the industries listed below. The intermediary, Skills for Rhode Island’s Future, will be tasked with matching interns with employers based on student interests and skills. Not every student will be able to be matched with their top industry of interest, but the intermediary will take those preferences into account during the matching process.
- Finance and Banking
- Food and Hospitality
- Human and Social Services
- Retail and Customer Service
- Information for Students
- Information for Schools
- Information for Businesses
- Program overview slide deck