PrepareRI Internship Program
The PrepareRI Internship Program will train and place at least 100 Rhode Island youth in paid summer internships with the state’s top employers in a range of industries.
PrepareRI Internships benefit both students and industry. For students, the internships prepare youth with the skills they need to pursue meaningful, fulfilling futures through professional skills training, on-the-job experience, and connections to adult mentors who can help them achieve their career goals. For employers, the internships help diversify their workforce and build a strong pipeline of young, skilled workers who can keep RI’s future economy vibrant and strong.
Summer 2018 is the pilot year for PrepareRI Internships. The program is a joint project of the Rhode Island Department of Education and Governor's Workforce Board, and will be managed by a statewide career readiness intermediary to be selected in early March 2018.
PrepareRI Internships are part of PrepareRI's goal of having work-based learning in every high school in the state.
- PrepareRI Internships are summer internships for Rhode Island public high school students
- There will 100 internship openings for summer 2018
- Interns will be paid
- Internships will last 6-8 weeks (20-35 hours per week)
- Interns will be placed at top Rhode Island employers
- To be eligible, students must be 16+ and entering 12th grade in a RI public school in fall 2018
- A statewide career readiness intermediary will help select students and match them with employers
Dates subject to change
- March 2018: student applications open
- April and May 2018: students interview with employers
- May 2018: students notified of decisions and internship matches
- June 2018: PrepareRI Internship orientation
- July and August 2018: PrepareRI Internships